Olympic Country Program
Pursuant to the instructions of the President of the Russian Federation Vladimir Putin following the meeting of the Council under the President of the Russian Federation on the Development of Physical Education and Sports, held on March 24, 2014, the Russian Olympic Committee developed the Olympic Country Development Assistance Program, guided by the Olympic Charter, according to which, one of the tasks of National Olympic Committees is to promote the development of mass sports, and also within the framework of the international movement ″Sport for All″.
On May 21, 2015, during the meeting of the ROC Executive Committee, this Program was approved for the period 2015-2018.
Achieving the main objectives of the Program is carried out by coordinating the tasks in the following main areas:
– support of activities as part of the international movement and the international program of IOC ″Sport for All″;
– support for community initiatives to develop the sports club movement;
– promotion of physical activity and healthy lifestyles of children and teenagers;
– promoting the creation of a modern information and communication infrastructure for the development of mass sports.
As part of the Program, with financial support from ROC, large-scale sports events are organized in almost all regions of the country, which can be found in the Unified All-Russian Calendar of Sports and Physical Education-Mass Events. Regional Olympic Councils actively participate in these events and they include:
– All-Russian Olympic Day, held under the auspices of the International Olympic Committee;
– Winter Sports Day, held under the auspices of the Russian Olympic Committee;
– All-Russian Walking Day, held under the auspices of The Association For International Sport for All (TAFISA)
Supporting community initiatives for the development of the sports club movement is one of the main directions of the ROC program Olympic Country. Within the scope of this program ROC, on a competitive basis, selects and supports the most effective projects aimed at creating a system of sports clubs in various sports directions. It should be noted that ROC supports non-profit sports clubs such as school and student sports clubs, neighbourhood and work sports clubs.
More than 20 All-Russian sports federations, unions, associations, Olympic academies and about 30 legal entities, that are regional public associations created for the development and propaganda of the Olympic movement in the regions of Russia (regional Olympic Councils), took part in the competitive selection of projects.
During 2016-2017, sports clubs that emerged as winners of the competitive selections received the following from ROC: sports equipment, sports gear and outfits, as well as funds for organizing seminars and advanced training courses for employees of sports clubs and for purchasing methodical literature.
In total, as a result of the implementation of projects of All-Russian sports federations and regional Olympic Councils, 375 non-profit sports clubs were established in 59 regions of the country as part of ROC’s Olympic Country Program. The Russian Olympic Committee donated about 29 thousand units of sports gear, sports outfits and more than 300 units of modern sports equipment to these clubs.