25 December 2018
Stanislav Pozdnyakov: ″One of the meetings of the ANOC Commission on Culture and Education will be held at RIOU in Sochi″
Today, the President of the Olympic Committee of Russia held a working meeting with the Rector of the Russian International Olympic University Lev Belousov. Issues discussed were cooperation between ROC and RIOU as part of a joint educational program, as well as the participation of representatives of the university in the Eastern Economic Forum, which will be held next year in Vladivostok.
– Cooperation with RIOU, of course, contributes to the strengthening of ties between ROC and the international community and the advancement of our humanitarian interests in the world, – noted Stanislav Pozdnyakov. – In the near future, we will definitely hold one of the meetings of the ANOC Commission on Culture and Education, which I head, at RIOU in Sochi. I am confident that the knowledge and experience of the staff of the Olympic University will help us implement various educational projects, including international ones. RIOU is well known far beyond the borders of our country, and RIOU graduates are representatives of 50 countries around the world. For the Russian Olympic Committee, development in this direction is a priority not only next year, but also in the foreseeable future.
– Today you reached agreement with the Rector of RIOU, Professor Lev Belousov, on the participation of the university in the Eastern Economic Forum 2019. How does this relate to the agreements and memoranda of cooperation that you plan to sign as part of EEF?
– In the agreements that we plan to conclude at EEF 2019 with the National Olympic Committee of Japan and NOCs of other countries, we will separately focus on the participation of our partners in RIOU educational programs. This is one of the important practical steps that we can take as part of the successful implementation of bilateral agreements. One of the topics of our panel discussion at EEF will be devoted to the Olympic legacy, and a vivid, successful example of this legacy is RIOU. We will be happy to share our experience with colleagues from Japan, Korea and China, who have already been invited to Vladivostok. The EEF is also an interesting platform for us from a geographical point of view, since a number of neighbouring countries have hosted and will host the Olympic Games. We are planning to develop international cooperation within the framework of educational programs with these countries and we are actively making plans for interaction with the Asian region as a whole.
Lev Belousov stressed that one of the main projects of RIOU and ROC in 2018 was the launching of the short-term program ″Master of Sport Administration″.
– RIOU is the academic heritage of the Olympic Games in Sochi and an integral part of Russian Olympic education, – said Lev Belousov in an interview to the ROC Information Service. – Our university is developing dynamically. Next year, RIOU turns 10 and during this short time for educational institutions, RIOU has made, without exaggeration, a real breakthrough in the field of education, particularly in sport administration. It is very important that our work goes beyond the borders of Russia. Students from around 50 countries have received high-quality education and our professors are from 11 countries.
A good example of the special attitude of RIOU to Russian Olympic athletes and evidence of our constant search for the best set of training courses was the launching of the ″Master of Sport Administration″ program this year. First of all, we took into account the needs of potential students. After being on the medals stand you always move down. The objective of RIOU is to provide athletes the opportunity to remain in sports after completing their careers. They receive a good education and a new qualification. Not all of them can study for a full academic year in our wonderful campus in Sochi. That is why we have developed a new program designed for part-time education and it has been adapted to the interests of professional athletes.
– How popular is this program?
– Over the course of three years, thanks to support from ROC, we have had listeners from all over the country. During this time, RIOU has held classes in the building of ROC itself. This has simplified a lot of things. Attending classes in Moscow will allow our students to save funds. In addition, for them it is a convenient opportunity not only to gain knowledge, but also to solve their issues, for example, in the sports federations located in the ROC building.
By the way, students note that weekly courses for fully mastering the programs are not enough. Thanks to the agreement with ROC, some of the funds intended to increase the number of applicants, are being transferred by RIOU into the creation of new, expanded and in-depth educational programs, improving their quality.
– Recently, ROC and RIOU announced the launching of an educational program to improve the skills of coaches. Can you give some more details?
– At the moment we have signed a contract and agreed on the principles of participation in the project of the All-Russia sports federations. At full capacity, the program will begin in spring. The pilot version will include summer sports – the federations of athletics and swimming, and winter sports – the federations of speed skating and cross-country skiing.
Our main task is to train young promising coaches, capable of leading Russian national teams in the near future.
– What else does RIOU have to offer in 2019?
– We are preparing for the opening of the Information and Educational Center (Museum) in Sochi. There is nothing like this in the world right now. The center will give visitors the opportunity to learn about the history of the Olympic movement and to feel the emotions experienced by athletes during the Games in Sochi by way of modern simulators.