28 March 2018
Sakhalin has opened doors for future participants of the first Children of Asia International Sports Games
From 20 to 24 March, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk hosted a seminar of the heads of delegations on preparation for the first Children of Asia International Sports Games. Representatives of more than twenty Asian Olympic committees examined sports facilities, athletes’ living and nutritional conditions, transport logistics.
– We have to show the guests that Sakhalin and the Kuriles is the region where winter sports are developing successfully and where guests welcome. We must strengthen mutually beneficial ties with Asian countries and other regions of our country, — the Governor of the Sakhalin region Oleg Kozhemyako defined the task.
The Russian Olympic Committee was represented at the seminar by Alexey Slautin, Deputy Head of the International Relations Department, who held a number of meetings with representatives of foreign NOCs on the establishment of bilateral cooperation and the establishment of friendly relations between the countries.
Vice-President of the national Olympic Committee of Palestine Nibal Khalil was most impressed by the amount of snow and frost.
– The relief of the island, its hills, mountains are beautiful! Sakhalin reminds me of Japan. There is no snow in Palestine, but our athletes train in Europe. Therefore, we plan to send the team on the first Children of Asia International Sports Games.
Deputy Minister of Sports of Armenia Gabriel Ghazaryan informed that his country’s team counts on medals in alpine skiing and cross-country skiing.
– I’m on Sakhalin for the first time. I want to explore the skiing base “Mountain air”. These sports are also developed in Armenia, so I want to compare the conditions created for them.
Head of the staff of the Ministry of sports of Armenia Eloyan Vahe has been skiing for years, so he was most interested in the “Mountain air”complex. Moreover, Armenia also has a ski resort “Tsaghkadzor”.
– I immediately wanted to change and get on the mountain skiing. You have wonderful conditions for any winter competitions.
The representative of the Executive Committee of the NOC of Syria Ibrahim Abazid on Sakhalin frequent guest. His wife is a native of OHI.
— I love this island and was very happy when I learned that Sakhalin will host the winter games. Our Olympic Committee decided to bring the team here. We have athletes who stand for Syria, but train in other cities and countries.
— I would like to thank the organizers of the seminar. You have very well: sports facilities meet the necessary requirements, all of them are located in the city center, which is very convenient. Nature, snow and not as cold as I thought, ” said Laurentian Guttierez, Secretary General of the NOC of East Timor.
– Sport has no geographical or national boundaries. Some countries do not know what snow is, however, they are ready to take part in the games “children of Asia”. There is always an opportunity to be trained in winter regions. We offer Sakhalin from this side too, “said Vladimir Maksimov, Director General of the Directorate of the I winter international Games” children of Asia”.
The main event of the “Asian summit” was the launch of the clock, which will show the time remaining until the start of the competition. In a solemn ceremony on the Central square of Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk took part a two-time Olympic champion Anna Bogaliy chosen honorary Ambassador of the first International winter Games “Children of Asia”.
– For me it is very responsible and honorable. I am pleased to be the Ambassador of children’s sports, which has been an integral part of my life for six years. I believe that the holding of the winter games on Sakhalin is justified and logical. Today, there is an active construction of stadiums, a biathlon complex, ice grounds. Everything is done to ensure that children’s sports develop, — said the famous biathlete.
We will note that among honorary ambassadors Of games “children of Asia” there are a number of known athletes: Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao, the bronze prize-winner of the Olympic games of 1994, the Japanese skater Horia Manabu, the three-time Olympic champion in Greco-Roman wrestling Alexander Karelin, the two-time Olympic champion in gymnastics Elena Zamolodchikova, the Olympic champion in rhythmic gymnastics Tatyana Gorbunova and many others.
International games “children of Asia” with the participation of young athletes from Asian countries are held every four years. Their purpose — promotion of ideas of the Olympic movement, development of children’s and youthful sports. From 7 to 17 February 2019 in Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk for the first time medals will be awarded in eight winter sports — skiing, snowboarding, biathlon, cross-country skiing, ski jumping, figure skating, short track and hockey. To do this, the island is almost completely created all the necessary infrastructure. In particular, in the South of Sakhalin there is the best far Eastern ski resort “Mountain air”, where, in particular, the Russian ski cross team was preparing for the Olympic games in Pyeongchang.
It is planned that about two thousand young athletes from 27 countries of Asia and a number of subjects of the Russian Federation will take part in the I international winter Games “children of Asia”.