29 March 2018
Nina Moser: “I’m taking time out. I will work within reason”
In an interview with the ROC Information Service the honored coach of Russia Nina Moser shared her impression about the past World Figure Skating Championships and, first of all, about the sports couples competition.
Two duets from her group took part in the World Figure Skating Championships in Milan. Eugenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov took second place, Natalia Zabiyako and Alexander Enbert were fourth. Nina Mikhailovna did not go to Italy, because she was recovering from a surgery.
– I am very glad with the result of Tarasova and Morozov, despite some mistakes, said Nina Moser. The season was difficult and exhausting. The guys took part in ten tournaments, including the Olympic Games. Therefore, I was somewhat worried about their performance at the World Championships. But they coped with their task with dignity.
I am also happy for Zabiyako/Enbert. Last year, at the World Championships in Helsinki, they were only 12th, and now fought for a place on the podium.
– If Alena Savchenko will complete her sports career, which is quite possible, will Tarasova/Morozov become a potential leader for the next four year period?
– It is a complex issue. The Chinese duo Sui Wenjing and Han Cong, the world champions of 2017, who were second at the Olympic Games in Pyeongchang, did not cometo Milan. There are enough rivals. For example, a French couple Vanessa James/Morgan Cipres, who took third place this time. Everything will depend on further work. Tarasova and Morozov have opportunities to become leaders, but it is not possible for sure. It is a sport.
– Zagitova, was meant to be a champion, but alas…
– She couldn’t handle herself. After all, the result is determined by skating. It is a problem for athletes when everybody says ‘Go and win’, because they think that medal is in their pocket and it is necessary to win, and the wrong mindset.
– Were you amazed by the world record Savchenko and Massot?
– Why? The guys gave an amazing skate? They performed the most difficult program, showing clean skate.
– We are talking about the performance, which resulted in record scores.
– This pair proved itself at the Olympic Games. Their two final performances in this season were just great.
– But is not the gap between them and our duo too great, 20 points?
– At the beginning of the season our guys defeated Savchenko and Massot (at the Nebelhorn Trophy tournament). We should not compare the scores. Everyone skates at their strength at a given moment. In addition, there are different judges at different tournaments, and therefore different points for components. But anyway, Savchenko and Massot deserved a victory, as well as all gold medals owners. They all skated great. These are real champions.
– You touched upon the problem of judging…
– No. I only said that at the tournament, the judges may have a certain impression of some program or music. But if the athletes perform well, it will be appreciated.
– Tatyana Tarasova said on television that ice dancers Alexandra Stepanova and Ivan Bukin were condemned. Do you agree?
– Tatyana Anatolyevna spills emotions at each tournament and holds half a country in a negative suspense.
– Your skaters Ksenia Stolbova and Fedor Klimov, who missed both the Olympic Games and the World Championships, decided to stay for another season. They got angry at the fate?
– I haven’t talked to them yet. I was distracted by health problems.
– I hope, there is no more health problems now?
– Thank God, it is ok now, but I am not ready to discuss further plans, because I am still thinking. I will certainly stay in figure skating to some extent. This is my profession, I live with it. But after last season definitely need a break. I am running out of health and nerves. I need a break. And then over time, probably, I will return to this fight. When? It is necessary to continue at maximum strength. So now I’m taking a time out. This means that I will not be around, in my coaching room on a day in and day out basis. I will recuse myself from active work, at least for a while. I’ll work, but within reason. I will give advice, help and recover. Then we’ll see.