Telegin and Kalinin also ran out for good throws. Gusev tried to score in a fall. Russian players delivered numerous shots on the rival’s goal, which was firmly guarded by the Czeck goalkeeper. The opening period was scoreless, but still in our favor. We had twice as many successful draws, a few scoring chances, a very clean game in defense. The Czechs had no chance to score.
– The first period was quite tense. How did you manage to break the game?
– We were a little nervous, I guess. We were afraid to make a mistake, Kovalchuk spoke quietly as after training. Then after the first goal we relaxed. Pasha gave a great assist, the Goose scored, and this goal gave us emotions. Another one was scored immediately after and the game started. Vasya played very well, especially in the shorthand. While the power-play could be better, so there is something to work on.
In the second period the game did not start immediately. There were mutual penalties, and the first dangerous chance by the Czech team, but Koshechkin did not let us down. And then there was a goal.
– The game went wrong. Perhaps, your assist became a breaking point?
– Well, no. You saw it, the whole game was a stress. In such games, one goal decides little, Datsyuk never liked to savor his own masterpieces.
– Was it important to score first?
– It was a very tense game, all were afraid to make mistakes. Of course, it was important.
– Can you remember the episode when you gave a scoring pass?
– Honestly, I forgot everything already. We are getting ready for the next game.
– According to statistics, you ran more than others, the speed was 36 kilometers per hour... well, Pavel replies brilliantly…
– It suggests that in hockey you have to play, but not to run.