17 August 2015
Chung Mong-Joon is ready to fight for the FIFA presidency
Former Vice-President of the International Federation of Association Football (FIFA) South Korean Chung Mong-Joon officially announced his candidacy for President of the organization. “I am honored to announce my candidacy for FIFA President», – Mong-Joon said.
At today’s press conference in Paris, he expressed confidence that most of the organization’s current problems have to do with corruption within FIFA. Therefore, if elected, Mong-Joon intends to ‘break the system’, when key decisions, including those about allocating the rights to cover sporting events, were made by a few individuals behind closed doors. He also said that, if elected, he would only serve one term.
It is to be recalled that former FIFA President Joseph Blatter announced his resignation in June, amid the biggest corruption scandal. The Swiss, who has been in charge of world football’s governing body since 1998, will continue to act as President of FIFA until the elections.
The new FIFA presidential elections will be held on February 26, 2016. Among those who previously announced their intention to run for presidency were: former French international footballer David Ginola, former well-known Argentina forward Diego Maradona, Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan, former CSKA Moscow Head Coach Brazilian Zico and Liberia Football Association chairman Musa Bility.