7 October 2015
Andrey Rodionenko: “We do not want to exploit Mustafina and risk her health”
Champion of the London Olympic Games Aliya Mustafina will miss the World Cup in Gymnastics to be held in Glasgow (Scotland) from October 23 to November 1. Andrey Rodionenko, Head coach of the Russian national Artistic gymnastics team, said that in an interview to the ROC Information Service. Anastasia Dmitrieva, a gymnast from Samara, will perform within the national team at the World Cup Instead of Mustafina.
“During the past two months Aliya could not actively participate in the training process because of health problems, – said Andrey Rodionenko. – We do not want to exploit Mustafina and risk her health. We assumed that we would count on her at the World Cup only if her health condition allows. She hasn’t solved the problem with her back completely. Now Aliya will progressively become involved in the training process and systematically prepare for the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Game.”
– This situation was not a surprise for the coaching staff?
– We were ready for it. Everything depended on how the gymnast would feel at at the certain point in time.
– How well is Anastasia Dmitrieva prepared?
– She is prepared, as well as all other athletes of our team. How well? We will see at the World Cup in Glasgow. She was one of the three reserve gymnasts and the coaching staff decided to include Nastya in the application.
– But can Mustafina go to Scotland to support the team?
– This option was not discussed. It is not absolutely necessary. Now Aliya attends the University, training sessions and does things she needs to do. Now she has got nowhere run. She herself has come to this, having noted that it would be better this way in order to recover and systematically prepare for the main quadrennial event – concluded the Head coach of the Russian national Artistic gymnastics team.
It is to be recalled that at the Russian Cup held in September in Penza, Anastasia Dmitrieva became fifth in the vault and took sixth place in the individual all-around and in the balance beam.