10 July 2019
Stanislav Pozdnyakov: “Nizhny Novgorod is a city with a rich history and stable dynamics of development
ROC President Stanislav Pozdnyakov in his interview with journalists following the signature of a contract with TAFISA, expressed hope that Tokyo, where the host country of the 8th TAFISA World Games will be officially announced in November, will be a lucky city for Russia.
– To be quite frank, I would really like us to be the first National Olympic Committee to organise the TAFISA World Games, – admitted Stanislav Pozdnyakov. – We hope that the Russian bid will win at the General Assembly of TAFISA in the Japanese capital. Also, we look forward to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and I hope that luck will be on our side.
– Why did the ROC choose Nizhny Novgorod for the bidding process?
– The Olympic movement should be developed throughout the country, and not only in large metropolitan areas. Nizhny Novgorod has proven itself as a city capable of hosting large-scale sports tournaments. The city has a rich history and stable dynamics of development. Foreign guests and participants of the World Games 2024, based in Nizhny Novgorod, will be able to fully see the scale, possibilities, and beauty of our vast country.
– The TAFISA World Games event is not a competition in the generally accepted sense of the word. What is the philosophy of the Games?
– The TAFISA Games highlight the fact that sport is diverse and has different goals. Some athletes strive to win medals, others strive to improve their health and promote an active lifestyle. The TAFISA philosophy coincides in many respects with the goals set forth by the ROC to promote Olympic values.
– The TAFISA World Games are supported by the International Olympic Committee. How important is this?
– The support of the IOC is extremely important. During our recent conversation, IOC President Thomas Bach assured me that if the Russian application is successful, the International Olympic Committee will help resolve organisational issues and complement the concept of the World Games in Nizhny Novgorod with its own events. This demonstrates the unity of the international sports community in the face of modern challenges.